Turmeric (Yellow Medicinal herb)- the queen spice
Its called as queen spice since it’s the only kitchen spice that has both anti inflammatory and nti-oxidant properties.
Turmeric contains a component called curcuminoid which is rich in very strong antioxidant property(bolster your immunity and fight free radicals). Curcumin is the active ingredient of Tumeric and powerful anti-inflammatory in nature. It’s advisable to take 1 gram /per day along with pepper. urmeric is poorly absorbed in blood hence advised to take along with black pepper.
turmeric is said to be balance the tridoshic (vata (mind-body types), pitta(its bitter taste balances itta, and kapha).
- It has been used by Ayurvedic healers as medicine taken internally in the form of fresh juice, oiled tea, tinctures, or powder, and topically as creams, lotions, pastes, and ointments.
- There are many ancient Ayurvedic formulas utilizing turmeric. Milk boiled with turmeric and sugar was a popular cold remedy and turmeric juice was used to help heal wounds, bruises, and leech bites.
- A paste made from turmeric, lime, and salt was commonly applied to sprains and inflamed joints.
- Smoke made by sprinkling turmeric over burnt charcoal was used to relieve scorpion stings within a few minutes that the affected area is exposed to smoke.
- nhaling the fumes of burning turmeric was also used commonly to release copious amounts of mucous and provide instant relief from congestion. The fumes also were believed to help in hysteric fits.
- A pinch of turmeric was also used as an insect repellent in the kitchen
- A paste made of turmeric alone or with neem leaves was used for ringworm, itching, eczema, and any other parasitic skin condition.
- The Charakra Samhita section on Therapeutics states that turmeric, black pepper, long pepper, and ox bile was a common remedy for consumed poison or snake bites, up until the last stage.
- The Charakra Samhita also provides a traditional remedy for jaundice: turmeric, triphala, neem bark, bala, licorice cooked in milk and ghee of buffalo. If this did not work and there is “found residue of morbidity still lodged in the body”, inhalation therapy was indicated.
- Cigars were made from turmeric paste, cinnamon, castor plant root, lac, red arsenic, deodar, yellow orpiment, and nardus, smeared with ghee and smoked.
- Inhalation of the fumes of barley paste with ghee was also a treatment for jaundice.
- Hemorrhoids (piles) were treated with an ointment of turmeric, hemp leaves, onions, and warm mustard oil or linseed oil, applied externally when the hemorrhoids are painful and protruding.
- Pastes of turmeric were used for smallpox, chickenpox, shingles, ulcers, conjunctivitis, skin blemishes, malaria, and applied to the cut placenta after the birth of a child.
Curcumin is the substance that is responsible for the biological activity of turmeric. Combined with black pepper, curcumin becomes 2000 times more potent
Curcumin is now extracted from turmeric, The same components that prevent deterioration of food protect living tissue from degenerating, possibly extending the life span of our bodies
- Turmeric is considered to fight Cancer in three ways: It neutralizes those substances and conditions which can cause cancer; It directly helps a cell retain its integrity if threatened by carcinogens (a substance showing significant evidence of causing cancer or growth of cancer cells); If a tumor does grow the curcumins can often destroy it which is important disease fighting substances that help to clean up unstable oxygen molecules (free radicals) that can damage cells and cause diseases such as Cancer. Other antioxidants and COX-2 inhibitors are red grapes, green tea, rosemary, and bee propolis.
- took 1.5 g of turmeric a day for 30 days had much lower mutagenic levels in their urine than those who did not include turmeric in their diet. Mutagens are substances that cause cell mutation and increase the occurrence of cancer. There is, however, some new research suggesting that taking curcumin may counteract the effectiveness of chemotherapy. Thus, many cancer treatment programs are developing a periodic schedule of use to avoid any issues
- Turmeric is also a powerful anti-inflammatory herb. It has been shown to be helpful in the treatment of Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, injuries, trauma, and stiffness from both under activity and over activity. It is also helpful after surgery to decrease pain, inflammation and accelerate healing.
- Turmeric also protects the liver from toxins and pathogens. It is known to both destroy m toxins in the liver, and to rebuild the liver after a toxic attack. Turmeric increases the secretion and movement of bile and may prevent all forms of liver disease. Excessive use of drugs and/or alcohol can tax the liver and lead to liver diseases about 5 grams of Turmeric is taken with a glass of whey, morning, and evening, for a month to activate and rebuild a liver.
- Turmeric also plays a role in pregnancy and birthing in India . Traditionally, it is said that taking turmeric when pregnant will ensure that the child will always have beautiful skin. (However, turmeric is a mild uterine stimulant, so there is a chance of over stimulation; it is essential to consult a healthcare practitioner before taking any herbs during pregnancy.) Turmeric taken in the last two weeks of pregnancy in warm, organic milk helps to expedite a simple birth, while increasing the health of the mother and child as well. Turmeric is also an analgesic (pain reliever) and is sometimes used in natural childbirth to decrease pain.
- “Turmeric is one of the best carminatives because though it leans towards being heating-pungent, it is very balanced and does not aggravate any of the doshas if taken in normal amounts.
- Turmeric with ghee is traditionally used to get rid of cough and to treat asthma.
- It has been worshipped, reveled and revered by people for centuries, and still today it is one of the most significant players in the prevention of serious disease as well as the general afflictions of living. that turmeric is one of the most powerful plants on the planet. Whether suffering from an acute or chronic disease, aches and pains, bumps and bruises, or as preventative maintenance, turmeric can and should be utilized by everyone on a regular basis.
immunity booster has long been part of the daily diet in India
As curcumin is not easily absorbed by the body, it is traditionally mixed with black pepper to enhance
bioavailability. In food, it is best to include both Turmeric and black pepper in spice mixes to achieve maximum health benefits.
minimize the growth of fibroids